Friday, July 3, 2009

Knock- Knock...



HELLO!


Okay then.

I saw a picture in LA Times on May 17. Actually, DH saw it first :)) He's very savvy that man. Soooo, I've been collecting pictures and info. Turns out there was a lot of hoopla surrounding this jacket and the celebs that wore it. It sold out on Net a Porter within 24 hours (three total at a charming $14.000 a pop).

Then MJ passed away. A lot of people likened the jacket to his trademark style, which I get. But, it's also a lot more feminine. I found a blog where the guy (yes, another savvy man) keenly observed how the shoulder pads are shaped to give the illusion of the shoulders of a very waif-like woman (in other words; runway-skinny, anorexic shoulders.) A far cry from the eighties and "Dynasty".
The muslin is taking shape, I'm using BWOF 02-2008-105 as a start-off point. The sleeve/shoulder in the Balmain collection is quite unique; here's another of his jackets on Rhianna:


I'm studying the trim as much as I can from the pictures.



Edited to add link to close-up of trim:




Looks like pearls, rhinestones and some kind of gemstone like onyx. There's also a silver chain within the twisted pearls. And a bunch of something resembling washers! I'm not sure how close I will get to all this but I'm giving it my best shot.

If you have some suggestions for the trim, I'm all ears. I can't seem to locate the silver colored tiny pearl trim you can see next to the crystals, and also those crystal-encrusted curved thingies that lie over the black gemstones. Planning to go to the hardware store to look at washers, but they may just be too heavy.

I got some superb double crepe wool which I think will work perfect. It's heavy enough yet has a natural give, which is good due to the close-fitted design. I'm using a stretch charmeuse for lining.

12 comments:

  1. Yes! I have been hoping someone would make a Balmain. It will be stunning! Double crepe is a great choice,finding trim will be the true adventure. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If anyone can make a good replica of this jacket, it's you. Good Luck. I can't wait to see how it turns out .

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! This is SO SO YOU! If anyone can pull this off, it will be you! I can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto! You are the one to pull this off beautifully. Please keep us posted on your trim search. Such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see what you make! I know it's a pain to do a tutorial on your blog, but if you could include some photos of the making of the shoulder pad, I would love to see them

    For the silver pearls, you might want to look at drain chains at the hardware store.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! This will be impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah, I like what I see....
    Super sexy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the closeup on the trim :) I just traced out a biker jacket pattern too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you actually going to finish this by July 31st! That is a hot, ambitious project that you are totally up for!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have wondered how the shoulders on these jackets are done, so I hope that you will share your process with us. It is definitely you and even better without the astronomical price tag.

    ReplyDelete
  11. For July 31st!!!!!!!!!!! Hello Dr Preventothersfromgettingexhausted ! -- This is Anne from Montreal, yes, I have a case of a talented woman who is starting an wonderful, but yet exhausting sewing project. I am afraid that with all her other responsibilities it might be a bit ambitious to say the least ;-) -- Where does she live ? -- in LA Dr ... -- Oh I see, you tell me that she lives in a city that never sleeps... so you think this is normal for them. Oh well.... and you think I should adapt my perception of people's life style since not all of us leave in hybernation land. Ohh Ok, I still have pils for that in my freezer. Thank you for your time Dr, but still! clunk (noise made by the phone receptor) ;-) OH la la banana you are the most amazing petites mains in the world. Just beat it then ;-) If you need bags of night time sewing energy, I will FedEx 2 or 3 in your direction. I have a some in reserve. Would high quality home dec passementrie be an option for some parts of the front loops? Wonderful project. I love Balmain as I once said on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know this is late into the mix. For the epaulet trim, it looks like it might be jewelry spacer beads, like these from Darice.
    http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2111&PRODID=xprd78068
    image of spacer beads alone:
    http://www.joann.com/images/36/50/2/365027_p.jpg
    I'm pretty sure Blue Moon makes them, too, but I couldn't find a good image on the Blue Moon site.

    ReplyDelete