Thursday, July 30, 2009

Ferido Is Splendido

Okay the title is lame, I'm no jewelry maker so what do I know :))

After searching high and low for some oblong, curved shape with rhinestones in a pave setting, I decided it was time for some DIY. That's how I found Ferido Formula x1. It is super easy to use (no heat setting, just let it dry), and it can be shaped into nearly anything. And the really cool part is that you can embellish it with no additional glue. It comes in different colors, even silver, but I chose black after reading about it on a few blogs. It is very hard to make something look like real metal when it's not, and since the jacket is black it works out okay.

I have my eye on some long sterling silver beads that I might substitue for the navette crystals in the first picture, and I have shapes and sizes of Swarovski Hematite crystals to play with as well.

delaido wondered how heavy the finished jacket will be... :))
Pretty heavy. The one embellishment on the front (incl. fabric/canvas) is 3.5 oz.

Bunny asked if I could do all the beading in the flat.
I think I can do the front that way. I tested a bound buttonhole and it works fine, which means I don't need to attach the facing first. I don't think the shoulders and upper sleeves though. And not the collar unless I hand stitch it to the jacket afterwards, which I may do.

Els had a great idea to use some old nylons as cover for the shoulder pads- Thanks!
I updated my last post to include the info of the moldable felt.

Now, it's 1 day left for the Knockoff contest on PatternReview :))) Then I discovered there's a new one starting August 1: The Embellieshment Contest... Maybe I can make that one? I haven't cut the fabric yet... ;)

And about tickets to our shows Million Dollar Quartet and Baby It's You:
We no longer have house seats to give away for MDQ, which means; I have to place my own flat behind in that seat to be able to use it!)
BIY is a different matter because DH has complete control. BUT it's a very small theater and the run also benefits LA's BEST After School Program, giving a large percentage to that charity. That said, I will do my best to squeeze you in :)) My usual seat is now on the stairs in the aisle which doesn't bother me one bit- its' a hoot to have the house packet with people rockin' out! As an added bonus: You don't have to go on any celebrity sighting bus tours, plenty of 'em right here - and they're all very much ALIVE :))

6 comments:

  1. You must be so happy with the shows going so well. Sounds like lots of fun. Your jacket is sure a labour of love too. It is going to be fabulous :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for adding the source and name of that moldable fleece. What are you using the Fereido for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have to google that Ferido. Sounds like a metallic looking polymer clay. I could be totally wrong here, though. The nylon idea is great

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, the picture just loaded and now I realize that it is not a polymer, but still very cool stuff. It's really fun watching you work this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Birgitte! So, is "Baby.." at the same theater we saw it at or somewhere else? How long is it running? (or do you know yet?) I LOVED it and hope this run is super successful. It sounds like you're having a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'll get a weight-lifting work-out for your abs and arms while wearing it! Can you imagine dancing in it?

    ReplyDelete