Sunday, June 29, 2008

Working Some, Dreaming More

This is the working part: Burda 2-2008-120 Parka.


Here are the cut pieces, well some of them at least, had to order an additional yard. This is real metallic organza, which I suspect is not the case in the Burda photo. The real stuff is quite stiff and very sheer, so it will be interesting to see how it will turn out. Fun to work with though; you can actually bend the fabric due to the high metallic content- 80/20. It can never be washed, so if it ends up being wearable, I should put a giant sign, "DO NOT TOUCH" on the back :-)

And here's what I'm dreaming about. My current inspiration pieces:


Louis Vuitton blouse jacket. The details include 3/4 length sleeves with pin tucked hems, contoured and topstitched front princess seam, diagonal dart from neck, soft Peter Pan collar.

Jenny Packham black dress with metallic detail. It's the skirt portion I'm interested in, very Art Deco and I love it over the pants.

Dior dress. What can I say. It's everything I love. The drape, the Art Deco trim... I will make this an experiment to see how far I can go with my still very limited draping skills. The ad itself is a masterpiece, pure Art Deco from background to the Cleopatra-inspired hairdo...

What are you dreaming about?

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I can't wait to see your garment. I like your inspiration pictures, too. Sewing, I am dreaming about a Michael Kors safari jacket, maybe I can finish it before ASG Convention in less than 2 weeks. Real life dreaming, my contractor shows up tomorrow and finished my project before my big 4th of July reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Dior dress is so you! How long will it take you to knock it off? Me, for fall I am dreaming of military-style jackets with fabulous buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I have the Dior dress and the Vuitton blouse in my wish-file too. Can't wait to see what you come up with. The metal organza looks like fun, too. Does it dull your needles or anything?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Dior is to die for. Can't wait to see your interpretation. My cold weather dreaming is a knockabout wool jacket with some felting involved. I am thinking a kind of lacy look.
    The organza parka will be killer.

    ReplyDelete