Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Dropped shoulder tunic


Another version of one my favorite tops, this time with dropped shoulders, pleated sleeves and contrast details:

Silk tunic BWOF 02-2009-110



This charmeuse print was bought at B&J Fabrics while in NYC, which is also where I bought the metallic tweed for the jacket. The contrast is cut from a vintage piece I had in my stash; black silk chiffon and silver metallic stripes. I made a modesty panel for the front, I think Catbird was the one who thought to do that on her recent gorgeous version of this tunic. Thank you, such an excellent idea! I also closed the bottom part of the top even more than my earlier versions.



Below are pages taken from one of my favorite books, 
Dress Design, Draping and Pattern making,
by
Marion S. Hillhouse & Evelyn A. Mansfield

FIRST PAGE                                                                            SECOND PAGE

My altered pattern


I made an earlier top using this same technique, the link below

The details on this tunic is not very easy to see in pictures but I really like it in person. Very understated. I'm planning a black and silver skirt (also from B&J).

It's so much fun adding details. Do you have any favorites to share?

3 comments:

  1. I often add features or change patterns. Piping is an easy element. I've just finished a long knit cardigan with pleated sleeves from a woven jacket pattern that I definitely will be repeating.
    Love the approach you've used here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous. You really know how to make a garment very special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This tunic just keeps being reincarnated and is more beautiful with each incarnation! I'm in love with this version (love those drop shoulders)and with that fabric and trim. So happy I could contribute in a small way with the modesty panel. This must be absolute heaven to wear. It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete