Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Skating For Real

DD has become crazy about figure skating. She's taking three classes a week and an additional strength/flexibility/balance class. That last one is HARD, it's one-on-one with a professional gymnast, sweat is pouring down DD's face... does that ever make me happy :)) Never has she been this determined, so of course I'm doing what any sewing-able mom would do: make outfits :) It's quite a change from couture, and I'm still figuring out best applications for all the stretchy stuff; as you know knit is not my forte. I have a serger but I've begun to use the sewing machine instead, following Jalie's instructions. It's much more accurate and simpler, not to mention less threading!

This first one is stretch velvet in neon pink and black/gold burnout velvet- and not stretch. The pattern I used is Jalie 2790. It comes with a straight skirt, but since the black wasn't stretch, I made a circular skirt and attached the black to a strip of the pink velvet. Also made the flounce narrower.

Balmain standing guard...

I used a super soft nude bamboo fabric for the back, still need to buy a closure for the neck.


DD just returned from the rink in her white Jalie 2797: A great soft spandex in a modern pattern, nude netting and clear elastic. She's also wearing a long tee in the same nude bamboo, no pattern just a rub-off of a tight fitting tee. I added some rhinestones to the sweetheart neckline.

I've made many more, just haven't had a chance to takes pictures. The long sleeve nude bamboo tee solved a couple of problems:
1. Nothing will itch :)
2. It keeps her warm without compromising style :)
So now this mommy can plow ahead, style, glamour and GLITZ ! As long as it will stre-ee-etch!!

15 comments:

  1. That bamboo tee is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks so cute - I am sure you are quite proud!!
    I just love how the Balmain is standing guard - cute comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will have great fun making these, you just can't put too much bling on a skating outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! Where did you get the nude bamboo fabric? I'm making ice skating outfits for my DD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! I never skated, but I danced for years and I know how expensive those outfits can get. Good for you (and your daughter!) for being able to make them. My guess is they'll be even cuter than the RTW versions and she'll be the envy of the rink. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute skating outfits and cute DD! I know what you mean about knits. I have also come to rely on the sewing machine more than the serger. It's easier to sew with precision, then just serge the seams that need it. Plus, threading. I hear you, I just get so tired of threading all the machines.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the outfits but I have to admit I am even more in love with her striped tights! Little girls get all the best tights.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darling outfits. Your daughter is adorable. Take it from a mom with two grown daughters. If your child can find their bliss, you have 90% of the teen issues solved. You are wise to encourage her passion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lucky little girl, having such a talented mom!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks like such a lot of fun - I haven't skated since I was a child. Your daughter looks so cute - what a lucky, and lovely, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable. It will be a lot of fun for both of you to make cute skating outfits :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your daughter looks so beautiful in all her skating finery! That's a great picture. You can't help but create beautiful things. I love the skirt fabric on the pink one and love the "Balmain standing guard." I'm looking forward to seeing more if you get a chance to take pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute, your daughter must be thrilled you can make her those outfits.

    ReplyDelete