Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Back From A Break

Not from sewing, just from the Balmain. When I realized that the Top 10 Challenge over on Pattern Review had changed to include ALL top 10 years, I had to join in the fun :)) As most of you probably have realized by now I'm not a Knit kinda gal and the 2008 Top 10 wasn't much else. I received the OOP Simplicity 4698 last Tuesday and plugged away to meet the deadline; with 40 minutes to spare :)) Needless to say I didn't get to take good pictures but I made it and that's what counts isn't it ;)

Recognize the fabric? It's leftovers from my Bluemarine coat knockoff :))
I had less than 2 yards but made it without compromising the nap.

I also rediscovered why I love BWOF so much: I can cut the pattern without SA, making tissue fitting a breeze. AND I can make my own SA; why the heck do they have that Giant SA at neck and lapel- and the sleeve cap!! My goodness, talk about making things difficult! The closer you are to the seam the easier it is to be accurate.

I made a couple of changes to the pattern:
Bound buttonholes
Welt pockets (the pocket bags are very shallow due to the jacket length but they'll hold some change, gum, kleenex etc)
Hidden pocket in lining with piping (I used Kenneth King's method, and this one is deep enough to hold my iPhone plus)
I also cut a hem facing. The original hem is only 1 1/2" which includes SA, and since I was in a hurry I forgot to make adjustments before I cut. I just don't like narrow hems, it's my opinion it makes the garment less "classy".
I lined the entire jacket as well.

I will, eventually, post a picture of me wearing it. It fits good and is just what I needed; a simple black jacket to throw on over a tee and jeans. It's really been busy around here; my father arrived Saturday from Norway, and the show is in the the midst of negotiations for a major move-over within the next month. If all goes well I'll have to fly east next spring...

And what have we here?...

My new best friend that's who :) Bought at FireMountainGems. I got this magnifier for the Balmain project and I tell you; it's more or less permanently attached to my head at this point. Working with any kind of details can strain the best set of eyes and mine are not the best anymore that's for sure. And working with black is truly tiresome so these babies has proven to be my savior. DH calls me his little jeweler; I greet people at the door forgetting they're on top of my head...


8 comments:

  1. How exciting with the show - keep fingers crossed ;)
    Good luck with the jacket too - gorgeous as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first, I wrote: "Now that is interesting. I read with interest peoples opinions about EU and US patterns and the added seam allowances or not. You are the first I have seen to actually like that they are NOT there."

    ... and then I remembered! Ah yes, you are from Norway. That just explains it all. :-)

    /Anne (from Denmark)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My eyes are really getting bad, can you talk more about the magnifier? My issue is being able to see faint pencil lines. I could use darker pencil but the lines are thicker, the lead is softer and if the lines don't ghost when erased, they smear. Iow, I would prefer to continue to use the traditional pattern drafting pencils (turquoise 4H). Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also appreciate being able to add the seam allowance I WANT. This is how I learned how to sew. It is so much faster to correct the pattern on paper. Then I add 2 cm for fitting the muslin. When it fits right, I finish the paper pattern with different SA depending were it is located on the garment.

    Cool tool for the embellishment. And I like your express jacket a great deal. You sewn it in how many days? It would take me forever... I am so good with jackets that last for ever (before being sewn entirely of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great little jacket! I totally agree with you about PR's top 10 this year. I also totally missed the fact that they changed it to include all of their top 10's. Good luck to you in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snazzy little jacket. Love all the extras. Good luck with the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting that your dad is here. I hope you are having a fabulous time. The jacket looks great BTW.

    ReplyDelete