Sunday, September 21, 2008

Can You Say Decadent. And Art Deco.

Let's just put them together cause they belong together: Decadent Art Deco! The lushness of working the duchess silk into clean crisp lines... oh the exhilaration of it all! Can you tell I'm happy :))


So duchess silk ain't just for bridal anymore... Picture this:

Fitted dress with or without sleeves, and insertion design of your choice on sleeves, waist, hip, neckline, back... possibilities endless.

How about a coat or jacket, how stunning would that be!! And remember; the insertion does not have to be a different color. Same color/different texture is sublime as well.

So, bottom line; you gotta try this. If it's a new technique, skip the corners and practice with straight lines first. Measure everything exact, and sew exactly as measured. 
There is no trick, no expertise, just measurements and careful basting.

I think I will try rounded or circular insertions next. But I have to keep in mind that Art Deco lines work with my body, not against it, so any rounded curves will have to be kept to a minimum. But for you LauraLo, I'd recommend heading straight for the rounded shapes which will look stunning on your hourglass figure ;-)

And even though I'm presently drooling over my silk, I can see this on other textures as well. But there is something absolutely fabulous about the shine and body of duchess silk that works so well with this technique.
Anyway, here's how I'm finishing the inside of the insertion:
After pressing the seam allowances onto the insertion, I catch-stitched the seam allowance in place. I will be adding  silk organza underlining next, which will cover and shield the raw seams.

And Mardel; I didn't do all of last post in one day!! Oh my goodness, no! I had already fitted the muslin and drawn  the design way back, before I even started the Chanel jacket. And the insertion was done over a few days. I'm really really slow :))


19 comments:

  1. Your “Art Deco” skirt looks fantastic, impeccable sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That is beautiful. I am excited to see what comes out of your workroom next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is looking so good. And I love how you get excited about your projects - it is infectious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely stunning and inspirational. I have a piece of black duchess satin with no real purpose. Just the thing to play with.I like the idea of tone on tone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it . I am a bit confused as to why the insertion is black on the back and pink at the front have you underlined just the insertion and if so why and doesnt it show through? It is going to llo very nice . You are sew clever!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Breathtaking design and execution. This is very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, that skirt looks just FABULOUS!!! Very deco. Very decadent! Please post a pic of you wearing it - what top are you going to pair with it? and what shoes?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the "preciseness" of this skirt's design. Exceptional work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A similar skirt (with rounded lines :)) threatens to become now no 1 on my list of projects and it's only your fault :)
    I love the geometry of yours (very good placement of lines on the body and very eye-pleasing arrangement of the intertwined shapes) and it looks so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It actually looks better than the inspiration. I mean it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I agree with Vicki, your enthusiasm for your projects is definitely contagious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. gorgeous! You're not slow at all. Actually, considering the detail, you work very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooo, that looks fantastic and your excitement is infectious! It really is a stunning skirt, beautifully executed.

    Did I imply that I thought you did it all in one day? Even over multiple days or weeks, I think you work very quickly considering the level of detail you incorporate into your work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's awesome, so accurate it almost looks painted on!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a fan of "Art Deco" and your fashion rendering of it is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've always wanted to try this technique. Your masterful example of this is truly amazing. Can't wait to see the finished skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the work you do and the way you share it! Thought I'd let you know I've nominated you for the 'Brilliant Weblog Award!'

    Stop by Sew Random for details ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have left a Prize for you on my blog!

    ReplyDelete