Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Chanel construction

A few pictures of the process so far. It's the same as my other Chanel inspired jackets, but a very different fabric. A lot of extra steam pressing on this one due to the bulky wool boucle. I also cut off some of the taffeta strips in the SA.

Same pattern I used for my first Chanel: BWOF 01-2008-127. Well sorta... I kept the muslin from DD's recent Chanel (04-2008-120), and that was a time saver. I simply traced out her size in the shawl collar piece and added it to the muslin; length was added as well. I tested buttonholes and went with my usual bound, using the silk from the lining (crepe) and silk organza for the facing. And I also just discovered that the machine has a bound buttonhole option- DUH!!! THAT IS SOOOO EASY! I even made bound buttonholes on the sleeves, which was a little tricky due to the quilted lining. Think I took some pictures so will post them if I did.




I'm in the process of setting in the sleeves, and it's not hard because there isn't much matching to speak of. And; I used Roberta Carr's method to gather and shape the sleeve cap. That is just an awesome technique, try it! See this post on my coat.

Okay, at least I'm back to posting about sewing :)) Thank you for all congrats!

5 comments:

  1. Firstly huge congratulations on the Tony nominations! Next please tell us more about the bound buttonhole option on your machine - what does it do, what machine do you have - must be a lot more sophisticated than mine. Looking forward to seeing the finished result!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder of Roberta Carr's method of setting sleeves. Must look that up tonight in her book. Jacket is looking great. DD must love it when you get into the sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I received the magnifiers you sent me, the competition prize. Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The jacket looks awesome. Love the fabric. Your DD must be a lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super fabric form EOS. What a project. I have not been on blogs at all for months. I missed so many super posting. I will have time on vacation at Percé (Québec) to read more about your wonderful creative work. Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete